Saturday, June 13, 2009

Goodbye Jambiani!

I really wish I could post some pictures, because I've taken some great ones this past week. Internet access here is just so hard to get and my last attempt to upload one picture took about 1 hour and then failed.

Today is my last day in Jambiani and we're around the village. Last night I said goodbye to Simba, Caprone, Rasmus, and Eric - some great friends I've made in the village. And even harder was saying goodbye to the kids at the two Nursery Schools were we teach. I tried to explain I was leaving to go home, but they kept pointing at me saying "Keisho" which means tomorrow. I'm really going to miss class with them, especially now that we taught them red light/green light.

Yesterday one of our project coordinators invited us to his brother's wedding, it was really interesting (and quite long) but I got some great pictures. I also may have taken the official wedding photo of the bride and groom....which was a little too much pressure. It was quite the way to end our volunteer experience.

On Thursday after litter pickup, Madiji one of the local kids who I've become friends with showed me his soccer teams picture. Unfortunately, they don't have a great soccer ball to practice with so, I told him I'd buy them a new ball. It must have been quite the site to see 20 fifteen year olds following me down the main road in Jambiani to buy the ball....I felt like the pied piper. But the kids were so proud of there new soccer ball once they had it in their hands, they started playing as soon as we got back to the beach.

I still have to say goodbye to Kassim and Simon today. I hope that I'm able to find someone to continue teaching Simon English and helping him to read, he's a great guy with a really good heart. I'm still working out ways to bring Kassim back to the states with me. I'm going to miss him sticking his head through our gate yelling, "Kenn" at the top of his lungs.

Well, this is my last post from Jambiani. I promise that I'll be posting lots of pictures soon. Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers!

Kenn - Kachesi Coma Disi (Cool Like a Banana)

No comments:

Post a Comment